Tuesday, September 13, 2016

My name is Rachel Feddersen and this is my blog that I am keeping for my senior seminar semester project. I am a senior computer science major here at the University of Nebraska at Kearney with math and Spanish minors. I am pursuing a Spanish minor because I think it is really important to be able to speak more than one language. I studied abroad in the spring of 2015 in the Czech Republic, and while I was over there I visited 12 countries. I have also been to Canada a couple of times and I really want to go to Costa Rica next summer to finish up my Spanish minor.

My semester project that I am working on for my class is an app for an organization that I am in on campus. The organization, Blue Gold Brigade, is a student run group that works to connect students and alumni for creating networking connections and continuing traditions on campus. The app that I am making is going to be a traditions app that will be for all students at UNK. The alumni board is working on creating a list of traditions, and then those traditions will be incorporated into the app. There will probably be somewhere between 30 and 50 traditions when the app is ready to role out, but that might not be until next fall. But for this semester, I am going to lay the ground work for the app so when the traditions are decided upon, it will not be hard to add them in and make the final changes.

The purpose of the app is to get students connected on campus and excited about things that used to happen a long time ago that they can still be a part of. With the app, the students will be able to select a traditions and upload a picture of them completing the tradition. And if all of the traditions can be completed by their graduation, they will be able to get some sort of prize. We might also have it have checkpoints that if a certain number of traditions are complete but it is not all of them, maybe the students will still get some prize. We will work out that part of it later, but it is just a thought for a potential feature.

I know my adviser for the organization and I are really excited about the potential for the app and we cannot wait to get started on it. Hopefully we can get it done for next school year and it will be a way to get more students connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment