Friday, December 2, 2016

Week 10 Accomplishments

       Since my last blog, I have made quite a bit of progress with my Android app, but I also decided to only focus on that app for now so I could get it completed, because working on both apps was starting to be too much. If I am able to, I might try to go back and look at both apps next semester again, but we'll see what happens.

       With the Android app, I was able to finish setting up all of the database calls that I needed for creating users, logging in, viewing traditions, and completing traditions. I created a few procedures that I could use to do most of these actions, and I have one trigger on the database that updates my student level table if a student completes so many traditions and if a student completes all of the traditions. There are still some things that could be fixed and changed, but it at least can complete all of the basic things that make the app, so I am happy about that.

       I have also continued to make some style changes to the app. I changed the icons to the navigation menu, and I am still working on improving the help menu that pops up. I have fixed a few layout issues on some of the pages, and I improved the back button functionality of the app, since I think that the users should be able to use the button since it is there on Android devices.

       I am still not sure how functional using JDBC for connecting to the database is for mobile devices, but it is what I am using for now. I would have liked to have had the opportunity or time to try a different type of connection, but that just did not work out. My app works for just one device, but I do not know how it would work if multiple devices were using it. But that will probably be something I figure out in the future and not right now.

       A few things that I would like to work on for the final product for the class are trying to figure out if there is a way to email someone if a user completes all of the traditions, figure out a way to mark off traditions when they are completed for the user, show an annoucement to the user when they complete all of the traditions, and add in something to edit the registration form so it will not all users to register for the app unless they are using an email address associated with UNK. I do not know how many of these things I will complete by the time the app is due, but they will be good goals that I can strive for as the semester finishes up.


Navigation with new icons
Slightly improved Help menu
Empty fields Registration message
Registration completed message
Account already created message
Incorrect log in information message
Log in success message
Options for completing tradition
Completion attempt - not logged in
Tradition Completed Success Message
Tradition already completed message

No comments:

Post a Comment