Friday, December 9, 2016

Week 11 Accomplishments

     This week, I have been finishing up a few things with the app and trying to complete my "extra" goals I made for myself last week. I was able to accomplish most of them, so I am really happy about that. One of the goals was to not allow people to register if the email they are using is not a UNK email, and I was able to add that in pretty easily. I also added in a filter to the tradition thumbnails on the list of traditions that shows a green check mark filter over the image if the tradition has already been completed. But this only is shown if the user is logged in and has traditions completed. The last thing I added in is messages that let the user know when they have reached a goal of completing a certain number of traditions. There is also a message that alerts a user when they have completed all of the traditions. These messages display instead of the usual "Completed Traditions!" message that the user would get. I also added icons to the help menu pop up. It still does not look the best, but it is better than it was. I was not able to add in the emailing function I talked about, but that will be something to consider for a future addition.

     Overall, I think I have had a fairly successful time working on this project and learning more about developing apps. I definitely started out with too large of a scope for the project, and that is something I will need to work on. But I have learned a lot about how databases work and how they can communicate with other devices. I also learned about developing apps and all of the detail that needs to go into it to make sure that they work correctly. The biggest challenge for me initially was learning about project planning from a project manager's perspective because my department does not do that, and so trying to do that was interesting to learn about. But I hope to take what I have learned this semester and apply it as I finish up my college career and go out into the real world to work.

Here is the page with some of the
 traditions completed
Here is the number of traditions completed message
Here is the all completed message a user would get
The new help menu with icons
The message for an invalid email

No comments:

Post a Comment