Friday, November 4, 2016

Week 7 Accomplishments

      For this week, my goals were to continue to create the pages for the app and try to get the app set up so it could connect to my database. I was able to continue creating pages for the app, and I even made a little bit of progress with the Apple app. However, I did not get very far with connecting it to my database.

      For my Android app, I created the welcome page and linked that to the navigator side bar. I also started messing with the theme and was able to change the colors of the background and other parts of the app. There will probably have to be more changes, but my goal right now is to get everything working, and then maybe next semester we can work on the aesthetic part of the app. The thing I was most excited about this week was that I figured out a way for the buttons on the home page to call the same function as the navigation items do when they are clicked. I had to set an onClick event on each button, and then in that method in the activity, call the selectItem method for each button just like the navigation bar would do. I needed the buttons to work the same as the navigation bar because that was the only way that I could get the title of the page to change with the page change.

       I still do not have much to show for the Apple app, but I feel like I accomplished a little this week with it. I got the home page set up and I more or less got the welcome page set up. There are some problems with home things are laid out on both of those pages, but again, I just want to get things working and then I'll deal with the design stuff, especially for the Apple app since I am so far behind with it. I also created a register/login page, and even though it is not exactly the same as the Android one, I like how it looks and how it works. I tried creating the page that will list the traditions by following a tutorial I did when I was trying to learn more about Swift, but I must have done something wrong because the app crashes every time I try to go to the page, so that will be something to figure out later.

       I did not get very far with trying to connect the app to the database, but I was to work on that more this weekend, since I found more tutorials that I think will really help. I think I will send my requests with PHP and then I will receive them in a JSON format. But we will see exactly how that goes.

       For next week, I am supposed to be testing the app and just continuing to develop it. I do not have any specific plans except trying to make everything work. I do finally have some screenshots of things, since it has been a while since I posted any pictures.


Home page for Android app
Navigation bar for Android app
Welcome page for Android app
Registration page for Android app
Demonstration of month drop down
Tradition list page for Android app
Android tradition detail page example
Home page for Apple app
Welcome page for Apple app
Registration page for Apple app
Demonstration of month pop up

No comments:

Post a Comment